Manifesto 2023 VULNERARTE, Life as raw material
The relationship, or rather the distance, from reality in contemporary art is today one of the keys to understanding the cultural, political and economic situation of a humanity on the brink of extinction. Times like these should produce powerful art, seeking a tremendous shock in relation to the existing. Instead, we live in a smoothed-out present that constantly avoids any form of pain and that has gradually but inevitably led to the irrelevance of art, depriving us of any possibility of understanding, interpretation and true autonomous contemplation.
Art demands its rights on life with an relentless action that must break radically with the past. The experience of this art in the contemporary is more about vulnerability than perfection, precisely because unknown rules reign and that should not be known.
- Vulnerarte is a primordial opening towards the Other. It returns the legible to the unreadable from which it originates. It is an essential part of our humanity that allows us to connect with others in a deep and meaningful way.
- Vulnerarte has a body – subject to need, urgency, mortality – that in falling seeks new possibilities and establishes more authentic contacts;wWith all the mistakes, doubts, smears, and inaccuracies that reveal the emotions, feelings, and experiences of the shared path.
- Fundamental aspects of Vulnerarte: indistinction work and non-work; self and world; subject and object (identification); author and participant; figure and background.
- Vulnerarte uproots the role and comfort zone of artists, participants and exhibition space. Form, style no longer fully responds to the artist, and as a result, the work acquires more autonomy. Its sense (its senses) do not belong exclusively to the artist or the participant but to the performative event as a whole indeterminable.
- Vulnerarte creates Organisms Artistici Comunicanti OAC as pieces of existence in every respect, capable of relating to the artist, the participant and the exhibition spaces. In this sense, the function of the exhibition space “separate” from life is almost null and represents rather a serious obstacle.
- Vulnerarte escapes the enclosures of galleries, fairs, museums … evades the anesthetic spaces pre-defined that have been reserved today for art to keep it on the sidelines and re-enters the world; opening especially disciplinary spaces such as prisons, hospitals, barracks, institutions, factories, schools to reconnect to the present.
- Vulnerarte escapes from niches and bubbles configured around pre-determined and hetero-directed tastes and that are therefore as far as possible from the unknown, the unknown: from the new.
- Vulnerarte is the performative event in which emotions, articulated within and thanks to the Communicating Artistic Organisms OAC, begin to present themselves as achievable experiences: that is, actionable resilient thoughts, able to loosen the action and have another chance to change things.
Vulnerarte is the art of the present and of the future, it is the art of the world.
Sergio Mario Illuminato, Founder